Children will learn to read in EYFS and Key Stage 1 following Book Banded reading books, along with phonic books. Teachers read aloud regularly to the class to promote a love of reading. We monitor pupils' progress closely and work is targeted towards the individual's needs and ability. We use Target Cards and Target Tracker to do this. The National Curriculum for English aims to promote high standards of language and literacy by equipping pupils with a strong command of the spoken and written word, and to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment.
The national curriculum for English aims to ensure that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.
Spoken language, reading, writing and vocabulary are important aspects of the teaching of every subject. English is a standalone subject and the medium for teaching all other subjects. Ensuring children understand the English language will provide access to the whole curriculum and allow them to learn in all areas.
Children will be taught to speak clearly and convey ideas confidently using Standard English. We will teach children to give reasons; ask questions to check understanding; develop vocabulary and build knowledge; negotiate; evaluate and build on the ideas of others; and select the appropriate register for effective communication. We will support children in giving well-structured descriptions and explanations and time to explore their own and others ideas. This will enable them to clarify their thinking as well as organise their ideas for writing.